We will teach you a range of practical skills that can be used when working with children or infants. During the emergency paediatric first aid course, you will learn the essential knowledge needed to handle any potential childhood emergency.
You will be taught how to deal with young children that need first aid, covering both life-threatening situations and minor incidents. This includes the correct application of skills such as CPR, resuscitation and dealing with choking, bleeding and asthma.
Covering one unit, the emergency paediatric first aid course will include:
- Introduction to infant and paediatric child first aid
- Care of the unconscious casualty
- Dealing with an epileptic fit, shock and anaphylactic (allergic) emergencies
- Resuscitation including infant and child CPR
- What to do if a child or baby is choking
- Control of bleeding including nosebleeds
- Common childhood emergencies, including asthma and head injuries
- How to treat burns and scalds
- What to do if a child or infant get a fracture
- Various illnesses and conditions
- Contents of first aid boxes and their use
- Reporting accidents and illnesses
- How to administer first aid to an infant and a child with a head, neck or back injury
By completing the emergency paediatric first aid course you will learn how to administer first aid to a child or infant. We will guide you through a range of first aid scenarios and situations that teach you how to deal with potential incidents that you could be faced with when working in a childminding role. We will provide the training to teach you how to:
- Ensure children in your care are safe
- Meet the EYFS requirements for providing first aid
- Comply with an inspection by Ofsted
- Deal with childhood emergencies
Who is the course for?
The emergency paediatric first aid course is perfectly suited if you currently working in or about to start working within the early years’ sector. This course is suitable whether you have no previous first aid training or are simply looking to update your skills and gain the latest qualifications.
How is the course assessed?
You will be continually assessed throughout the course. We will test your skills through practical assessments and questions on the theory taught.
After completing the emergency paediatric first aid course successfully, you will be awarded the Level 3 in Emergency Paediatric First Aid (RQF). Your qualification will be valid for three years. After this time, you will need to complete a renewal course.