April 14, 2009

Defibrillator Training – how do you train people ?

We train people to use an AED (Automated External Defibrillator) which is a machine designed to administer an electric shock to a casualty whose heart has stopped beating normally. You might have seen such techniques on TV shows such as ER and Casualty.


April 13, 2009

A basic food hygiene certificate

What is a basic food hygiene certificate ?

Tags: certificate,food,food business,food safety,safety,

April 7, 2009

Does the law say I need a food hygiene certificate ?

No. There is no law which insists on you getting a food hygiene / food safety certificate if you work with food.

Tags: certificate,food,food business,food safety,hygiene certificate,

March 31, 2009

I want CPR training

A more than occasional request is from callers who call requiring CPR training, often due to a request or stipulation that the get proof of CPR training in order to get a particular qualification (often sports-related).  What reasons for this are we do not know as the requirements stated are often very brief.

Tags: 1st aid,1st aid at work,appointed person,cpr,emergencies,qualification,

March 24, 2009

Does Mr Whippy need to be registered?

Yes, he does ! Ice cream van operators need to register as a food business with the local authority.  This does not cost any money as there is no fee.  If you are operating an ice cream van you should register at the address where you are operating from – your garage or office location, […]

Tags: food business,food safety,hygiene,regulation,

March 24, 2009

Appointed person ? Appointed to what ???

Well as far as first aid is concerned an “Appointed Person” is the person appointed to deal with situations where first aid is required and whose duties include: * take charge when someone is injured or ill, including calling an ambulance if required; * look after the first aid equipment, eg restocking the first aid […]

Tags: 1st aid,1st aid at work,appointed person,

March 23, 2009

Who inspects us for food safety ?

It is usually the local authority who are in charge of inspecting premises for food safety issues.  They have members of staff called Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) who go round inspecting and giving advice on food safety to all food outfits.  This includes places where food is prepared or served even if this is not […]

Tags: Environmental Health Officers,food safety,food standards agency,inspection,safety,

March 22, 2009

Pediatric first aid training untouched by HSE reforms

The planned reforms for workplace first aid training will not affect the Pediatric First Aid courses designed for those in the Early Years sector (nurseries, childminders etc.)

Tags: 1st aid,chldren first aid,paediatric,

March 22, 2009

HSE new first aid training scheme for 2009

The HSE (Health and Safety Executive) is changing the way first aid training for the workplace is regulated.

Tags: 1st aid,1st aid at work,appointed person,